Hillsborough Township Volunteer Fire Company #2
HISTORY OF HILLSBOROUGH VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY #2

 

Hillsborough Township Volunteer Fire Company #2 was established in May 1948 when a second fire company was needed to protect the fast growing Township. Hillsborough Township Fire Company #2 purchased its first fire truck, an 1928 American LaFrance for $900. Today that $900 will not even buy one set of turn-out gear for the firefighter. We have approximately 2.5 million dollars worth of trucks and equipment in the firehouse to protect the residents of Hillsborough Township.
 
We respond to a variety of emergency calls, including but not limited to: car fires, house fires, motor vehicle accidents, field fires, industrial fires, train and airplane fires, cellar pumping if it is an emergency and, yes, we have taken cats from trees.  This is a far cry from the brush and barn fires our members responded to in the beginning.  Today we respond to approximately 500 incidents a year with an all volunteer fire company.
 
Our response area is the largest and most congested in the Township.  We respond from the Somerville border in the north to the Montgomery border in the south, from Beekman Lane in the west to the Millstone  and Manville borders in the east. We also respond to mutual aid in the Township with the other two Hillsborough Fire Companies, as well as mutual aid to other towns in Somerset County, when requested. We sponsor Hillsborough Boy Scout Troop # 89, our own softball and bowling leagues.